Good afternoon everyone,
It’s Lucas here. I hope that you are doing well. The last few weeks have been a lot of work for our team, which explains why we haven’t posted as frequently on the blog.
Today, we are a week from the end of the Indiegogo campaign and, as we have obtained our financial goal, I wanted to take a moment to talk a little bit about the development of the VK-X.
The prototyping is finished. Our main news is that, after many tests on the shape of the headphone headband, we have achieved great results in terms of comfort on different sizes of heads, without adding additional rotation. Therefore, this summer we will launch the production of a number of different mechanical parts: the headphone headbands, aluminum cups, plastic parts. The machining of these pieces is done in China, where Baptiste will go by the end of the month to make the molds necessary for their production.
Electronics and LDAC Codec
The prototyping of the electronic card is finished and we are starting the test plan. In a few words, it is a question of testing one by one all the features of the VK-X: pairing, control buttons, load management, LED lighting, etc …
One of the VK-X “Doughnut” electronic card prototypes
Regarding the LDAC codec, its implementation has a significant cost that is explained by a necessary re-engineering of some motherboard components of the current electronic card and the payment of LDAC license to Sony who holds the rights to this codec. For this reason, we decided at the beginning of the campaign to reach a goal of $ 200,000 of funding. I do not think we’ll reach that goal by the end of the campaign (we’re currently at $ 183,000), but Baptiste is currently trying to find ways to do that because we think it’s is an important feature for the VK-X to enjoy the best sound quality currently available in Bluetooth.
As we have explained in the past, sound is the last thing we work on during product development. Indeed, the sound signature is closely tied to the design of the final acoustic chamber, the shape of the pads, the placement of components, etc. The final design of the VK-X series will be completed this summer and we will have a better idea concerning sound production. Nevertheless, we have already made the first tests on the existing prototype (see Baptiste below) from different speakers and different acoustic grids to get a head start.
Our team member Paul is currently designing and launching the final version of the color chart that we will send to our clients who chose this option in August. It’s possible that the color chart does not look exactly the same as the photos you’ve seen. Indeed, we realized that the format of the booklet we had originally envisioned would not be the most practical to make a decision on the color and style of the headphones. It It is much more practical to be able to mix and match the swatches of color and aluminum so as to get a real idea of what the color combinations would like together. As a result, Paul has reimagined the shape of the color chart, which will probably be in the form of a small box containing two fans, one for leather, the other for aluminum. These fans will be free to be manipulated and brought closer to one another to facilitate the choice. In addition, I am working on a small simulation on our site that will allow to quickly visualize 3D renderings of the VK-X by selecting the different combinations of leather and aluminum possible.
I am at your disposition, as well as our team, to respond to any of your comments or questions!
Have a great day,